Thursday, December 1, 2011

Landing My First Job

For years, I have watched how it works. You go to school. You get good grades. You graduate. You get a job. As luck did not have it, this did not happen to me.

After hundreds of job applications and seven interviews (yes 7!!) in two continents, it was obvious I was not going to get a job through conventional means.

On a January evening, I was on my way to watch Avatar with a friend. She was accompanied by a friend of hers who run a brand consulting firm (my major was in market research). After some small talk, we ventured into talking about the brand industry, technological changes, economic and political situation in Kenya, and so on till the movie began. And so again, as luck did not have it, the Avatar movie had no sound. An early exit resulted in my new friend asking me to send him my resume, which I did as soon as I got home. In the email, I also asked whether I could be of use to his company. He immediately replied back. Seven hours later, I was walking to what would be my first job for the next 22 months.

During this time, my interest in brands has grown. I also became interested in technology and design.

My goals have now shifted and I am on a new career path...which isn't Market Research



Job Hunting Tips

1) Ask for help from anyone. People generally want to help others.

2) Do not be afraid or ashamed of starting your job from the bottom. If you want to be a graphic designer at your dream company, and all they have is a front office position, take it. Once you are in, you are in! You can now work your way to graphic designer dream job.

3) New opportunities bring forth new interests. Always learn something new.

4) If you want to do something..anything, JUMP!!! And don't look back.

2 comments:

  1. Very Very nice article! Was talking about the topic of making the first step with my colleague, 5 min before reading this. Hope the job is treating you alright. Very inspiring.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The job must be taking all your time. Get back to blogging asiiiiii!!!

    ReplyDelete